Five Element Acupuncture
Five Element Acupuncture is a unique system of health care. It has been used in China and Asia for thousands of years, and is now becoming increasingly popular in the west as an effective way to restore health and equilibrium in body / mind.
- Acupuncture is widely considered to be beneficial whether you are experiencing specific symptoms of ill health and want to get better or as a preventative measure for maintaining general health and wellbeing.
- The focus of acupuncture diagnosis and treatment is based on the unique person and looks at symptoms in relation to you and your lifestyle.
- Acupuncture addresses the underlying root cause of a condition. As well as relieving the symptoms, this approach has a more long term effect.
Acupuncture supports the body's natural balance. How does it work?
Acupuncture is based on the fundamental premise that Qi (Subtle vital energy) flows through meridian channels, an interconnected matrix of energy pathways which correspond to different organ networks throughout the whole body, nourishing and supporting healthy function. When Qi flows smoothly we feel well and have good health. However, many causes can affect the smooth flow of Qi both internal and external, such as poor diet, repeated emotional patterns and stress, over exertion, trauma.
The insertion of very fine, sterile needles on specific points located in small depressions along the meridian channels closest to the surface of the skin, are used to stimulate and balance the flow of Qi (vital energy), this clears blocked, weak, qi flow in the meridian channels and helps to establish the circulation of energy. This nourishes and revitalises body functions, and helps to clear and calm the mind and emotions. The movement of Qi also promotes and regulates circulation of blood; which delivers oxygen and nutrients to cells, removing waste, maintaining body temperature and assists the immune system and transporting hormones.
What is balanced health?
- Health is seen as a positive natural function of adaption, whereby the body/mind is able respond to challenge and to uphold overall health and equilibrium, be resistant to disease and come back to a state of health quickly.
- Disease is viewed as an out of balance state, a move away from the harmony of life caused by internal or external influences.
- Symptoms of pain and illness are seen as signals of imbalance.
- The aim of acupuncture treatment is to help restore body and mind to a state whereby healing will optimally occur.
The five elements are used as a diagnostic tool which views human beings as connected to nature and not separate.
As in nature, the five elements are expressed in our bodies and mind. This is a reflection of how we are connected to all things, as the elements work in nature, so they work within us. By diagnosing the correspondences of the five elements within a patient, the practitioner has a wonderful tool to help restore harmony and balance.